Skill Level

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Re: Skill Level

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:09 pm
NlolRL wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:21 pm
Here's an article about Sheedy attempting to recruit from South Africa. http://www.theroar.com.au/2010/09/23/ca ... the-world/

He has also attempted to recruit from college basketball, Ireland and other areas of Africa. He always has loved thinking outside the square with coaching and recruiting, and trying to make a success story from complete novices is his passion
We all know that when it comes to bullshit AFL is king and there supporters are cocooned in a fantasy world . But how does this disprove anything? If anything it proves that the AFL are lacking when it comes to skill full players.
Sheedy thinks outside the square. He tries everthing to get a potential advantage. It's one of the reasons he was such a great coach. However, dont assume everyone believes or follows his ideas. Quite the contrary
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:12 pm
Yep
Hi I'm kelvin shoddy .
I'll take some poor kid from another country & turn them into a top level fumbler .
Can't catch..no probs .
Can't kick straight ..no probs

Yep
Doesn't take much to be a player at top level in fumblelaad
funny isnt it. Especially given one of the failures was a RL champ :(/
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

No failure
Amongst highest paid
Lauded by media & coaches
Played at the highest level in the fumble universe
Now wanted back by fumbling legend.
Lol
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

NlolRL wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:19 pm
NlolRL wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:21 pm
Here's an article about Sheedy attempting to recruit from South Africa. http://www.theroar.com.au/2010/09/23/ca ... the-world/

He has also attempted to recruit from college basketball, Ireland and other areas of Africa. He always has loved thinking outside the square with coaching and recruiting, and trying to make a success story from complete novices is his passion
We all know that when it comes to bullshit AFL is king and there supporters are cocooned in a fantasy world . But how does this disprove anything? If anything it proves that the AFL are lacking when it comes to skill full players.
Sheedy thinks outside the square. He tries everthing to get a potential advantage. It's one of the reasons he was such a great coach. However, dont assume everyone believes or follows his ideas. Quite the contrary

Wouldn't a great coach have to be more than a fair judge of talent?
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:35 pm
No failure
Amongst highest paid
Lauded by media & coaches
Played at the highest level in the fumble universe
Now wanted back by fumbling legend.
Lol
averaging 6 possesions a game is an epic failure in anyones language. Sure, he has some athletic potential, but in the end he never realised it. He couldnt catch in a contest, especially given his height. He was too slow so he couldnt tackle, and he didnt have the endurance required so he'd blow up within half an hour. He was a grossly over paid failure. Having said that, he's not the first, as Im sure your game has seen players on huge contracts who failed dismally
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:44 pm

There's a lot more to coaching than being a judge of talent. Sheedy often made decisions on potential rather than selecting players once they were realising that potential. Occasionally they were a great success, like Michael Long. Then occasionally they were dismal failures like Courtney Johns. The failures way outweighed the successes
NRL&NFLweLaughATafl
Coach
Coach
Team: Manly Sea Eagles and Huddersfield Giants
Been liked: 13 times

Post by NRL&NFLweLaughATafl »

Fred wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:13 pm
Because it pays less on average and it would mean learning a new sport. If the right monetary incentive was offered I am sure they could intice a few over. Fortunately for the nrl they wouldn't make that same mistake afl did. A significant proportion of hunt and falou wages was paid by the afl as their employees as marketing for them. I'm sure if they offered lance franklin 20 million for a few years he would come across. Hell I wouldn't blame him.
Is not a lot of difference between the two in salaries now. Is more of a case of Rugby League being a much more brutal game.

You don't cop anywhere near the amount of tackles in AFL that you get in NRL.

Is more of a wrestle and the occasional pussy shove in AFL. :cool:
RUGBY LEAGUE 28 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 5 COUNTRIES
🇦🇺 🇨🇦 🇫🇷 🇳🇿 🇬🇧
AUSSIE RULES 18 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 1 COUNTRY
🇭🇲
Rugby League in Canada (Toronto Wolfpack)
http://www.torontowolfpack.com

UK Rugby League
http://www.rugby-league.com
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

I would agree re tackles etc. they are two completely different games. Just think you've got to offer a lot of money for a big name to change codes ... particularly to something so different as you would have to entice them to do something so different and learn a new game, whereas they would be generating a substantial income now with out any risk.

I think there is a perception that all afl players are small. They are not. There are some big blokes out there and seeing Tex walker for Adelaide the other day I would see no issue with him being big enough to play rl. They may put some kilos on him no doubt and he would need to mindset (not unlike hunt) to do well and apply himself (and that's the key) but he and others could do it. Now I don't know what money he is on but it would be very good coin. If you were him what would it take if you were the nrl and wanted to recruit him.. to say the new Adelaide team that would start off playing in the lower leagues (pretend there is one in sa).
Veni, vidi, vici
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

NlolRL wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:52 pm
pussycat wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:44 pm

There's a lot more to coaching than being a judge of talent. Sheedy often made decisions on potential rather than selecting players once they were realising that potential. Occasionally they were a great success, like Michael Long. Then occasionally they were dismal failures like Courtney Johns. The failures way outweighed the successes
What do the other areas of being a good coach have to do with this topic? They are totally irrelevant . The only thing that is relevant here is whether he is a good judge of talent or not, And he obviously is. So if a bloke with a total of just 18 months experience in AFL. And is playing for one of the most shithouse AFL teams ever then what does his stats have to do with it? Sheedy described him as being a player of enormous potential. And again 4 years later , wants to get him back . Great coaches rarely get it wrong , despite whatever bullshit you want to preach. Nor do they talk up a player as having enormous potential, and try to get them back into the game.

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:32 am
What do the other areas of being a good coach have to do with this topic? They are totally irrelevant . The only thing that is relevant here is whether he is a good judge of talent or not, And he obviously is. So if a bloke with a total of just 18 months experience in AFL. And is playing for one of the most shithouse AFL teams ever then what does his stats have to do with it? Sheedy described him as being a player of enormous potential. And again 4 years later , wants to get him back . Great coaches rarely get it wrong , despite whatever bullshit you want to preach. Nor do they talk up a player as having enormous potential, and try to get them back into the game.
and Sheedy is the type of coach who spots athletic talent or potential and imagines where this could fit in to his game plan or team. This is no reflection on the players current abilities. It couldnt be given the poor output Folau showed as an actual player

Also, believing Sheedy at his word is pretty stupid. Not only does he try everything to promote the game, he doesnt even work with GWS anymore so his words are completely hollow, and he knows it
NRL&NFLweLaughATafl
Coach
Coach
Team: Manly Sea Eagles and Huddersfield Giants
Been liked: 13 times

Post by NRL&NFLweLaughATafl »

NlolRL wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:46 pm
pussycat wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:32 am
and Sheedy is the type of coach who spots athletic talent or potential and imagines where this could fit in to his game plan or team. This is no reflection on the players current abilities. It couldnt be given the poor output Folau showed as an actual player

Also, believing Sheedy at his word is pretty stupid. Not only does he try everything to promote the game, he doesnt even work with GWS anymore so his words are completely hollow, and he knows it
Sounds like you and Sheedy have a lot in common, "hollow words" except you talk a lot more bullshit. :(/
RUGBY LEAGUE 28 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 5 COUNTRIES
🇦🇺 🇨🇦 🇫🇷 🇳🇿 🇬🇧
AUSSIE RULES 18 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 1 COUNTRY
🇭🇲
Rugby League in Canada (Toronto Wolfpack)
http://www.torontowolfpack.com

UK Rugby League
http://www.rugby-league.com
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Skill Level? :(/ :(/ :(/ last night after the football I watched some the 'athletes' with special needs game . One of the 'special' athletes had 3 free kicks, 30 - 40 metres out and directly in front and he missed each time :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: On one occasion he even missed the points for missing posts. So picture this , he's 40 metres out, directly in front, he has no pressure on him because no one is allowed to come within 10. Takes his time and misses, completely misses - everything', and he's punt kicking the ball - 40m out and he can not hit a target as wide as a barn. What a highly skilled athlete [-( 8-[

I'm of to China know to see some more of these highly skilled athletes, :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Last edited by pussycat on Sat May 13, 2017 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

you make kicking a goal from 40m out, which means youre actually kicking from near 50m out to get over the man on the mark, sound like its easy. Given RL conversions are 20m out Im not sure why you're talking
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

RL conversions , depending on the angle are usually 30m out (So they can get the height). If its anywhere near in front they miss once in a blue moon, some of the better kicker have missed only a couple of times from the sideline all season.

Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 164 times

Post by Terry »

NlolRL wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 11:30 am
you make kicking a goal from 40m out, which means youre actually kicking from near 50m out to get over the man on the mark, sound like its easy. Given RL conversions are 20m out Im not sure why you're talking
Yes he makes out it's easy......because it is!!! It's the easiest scoring method in world sport. And to even miss the consolation point post's is just plain embarrassing.

And RL conversions are not the major scoring method in the game, scoring try's are. Conversions are just a bonus after the hard work has been done.