Predictions: The next A-League TV deal

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Re: Predictions: The next A-League TV deal

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

The way the Media has betrayed this deal ( AS A HUGE TV DEAL)

is it really that big>> since sport in general around the world for rights have skyrocked.

previous deal was 40mill over 4 years (160mill) included socceroos games)

fast forward 4 years ( 6 year deal at 346mill) = 57mill with FTA to come...

remembering this is a 6 year deal (longer the deal benefits FOX )

I recan FOX has paid overs for what the product generates.. / needing sport over summer period.

in my opinion this deal is pathetic.. and will be beaten by a 6 week cricket comp...
#BIG BASH>>>>>>
post_hoc
Coach
Coach
Team: Western Sydney Wanderers
Been liked: 0

Post by post_hoc »

There is more of this deal to come, so I wouldn't dismiss it too early.
Football in NSW
- Football 200,868
- AFL NSW/ACT 28,468
- Rugby League 96,041
- Rugby Union 40,685
Football has 22% more players than the other football codes combined
post_hoc
Coach
Coach

Post by post_hoc »

The_Wookie wrote:
post_hoc wrote:
Wookie, you are wrong about the socceroos, the existing deal with FIFA appointed broadcaster who's name escapes me (they changed names recently) is for later stages of qualifying and obviously world cup. It does not include early rounds and friendlies, these are owned by the FFA and I do not believe they have been bundled into this package.
Every other report seems to mention that Fox paid for the socceroos friendly rights as part of this deal.
Having said all of that, I know it is hard for the AFL crowd to understand but the total broadcasting rights is a lot larger than the one mentioned and the FTV and digital to come. Fox also pays to broadcast the socceroos in the World Cup (usually on-sells as well) SBS have paid to broadcast the Confederations Cup in Russia, Fox also pays every year to broadcast the Asian Champions League etc etc. Optus has also paid to broadcast the confederations and world and women's world cups

All of these rights etc do find their way back to the FFA for instance the last world cup the FFA earned $8 million, they will get a share of the rights from the confederations cup etc etc.
Evidently its worth a million a match.
I know it is hard for you AFL guys to understand, but the $57 million is not the whole story and far from it.
I know its hard to not be a condescending fuckwit. You're right its not the whole story. A story i published yesterday on my own website (which has the references to the material below)

http://www.footyindustry.com/?p=3158

The deal includes:

* The new deal is comprised of $310 million in cash and $36 million in contra payments.
* Fox will commit $51 million next season, rising to $56 million per annum thereafter with the potential to earn an extra $7.5 million per year for the last two years if certain TV ratings triggers are met.
* The FFA has, crucially, also negotiated to end the “last rights” clause that has previously enabled Fox Sports to match any other bid the governing body receives.
* Foxsports will broadcast all A-League games live on Foxtel TV, Foxtel Go & Foxtel Play services,
* Socceroos, Matildas, W-League and FFA Cup matches will continue to be broadcast on the Foxtel platform
* One A-League match will be broadcast live on free to air television on Saturday nights in a deal to be concluded next year.
* Gallop confirmed that if a free-to-air deal did not eventuate, then the fifth game would revert to Fox Sports, which will fork out extra money. The Australian understands the figure is around $3m and that, theoretically, Fox could sell that game to networks for significantly less than the $10m to $15m FFA would like to get for it.
* There is also a clause in the Fox Sports agreement for the pay-TV network to increase the FFA deal annually when the A-League expands to 12 teams, within about two years
* The FFA has retained some digital rights that it hopes to strike a deal with a company such as Telstra in the new year, and could also sell A-Leagues to several countries overseas.
I have heard $4M but whats $1M between friends. This is a pretty good Summary, there seems to be a bit of confusion about Socceroo friendlies being in or out, I have heard both.

You were correct, that previous post was condescending especially to you, but I stand by it for some of the others on here.

The $1M per match is what I have heard as well, that is for the Qualifying rounds from the AFC, the figures for World Cup and Confederations cup etc are different.
Football in NSW
- Football 200,868
- AFL NSW/ACT 28,468
- Rugby League 96,041
- Rugby Union 40,685
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

well done wook for that post..

how many friendly socceroos matches are per year on avg that are included in the fox deal..
/ the $1M per match..
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

interesting that FOX has offered an extra 7.5mill per year last 2 years if ratings are met..

not sure if FOX is 100% hopefully of figures getting that much better..
post_hoc
Coach
Coach

Post by post_hoc »

leeroy*NRL* wrote:
well done wook for that post..

how many friendly socceroos matches are per year on avg that are included in the fox deal..
/ the $1M per match..
The $1M is for World Cup Qualifying, of which there are games on

23 March
28 March
8 June
31 August
5 September

Then there is the Confederations Cup games in Russia, which is a separate negotiations but will be well in excess of $1M
20 June - Germany (world cup Champions)
23 June - African Champion TBD
26 June - Chile (South American Champions)
If they make it past those games (hey think positive) the figure goes higher again

Then there are any negotiated friendlies which at the moment is Brazil/Argentina

But is a fairly full Calendar so sure how many there would be time for more.

So we have $5 for the remaining qualifying games (added to the 4 that came before) $9M

My estimate of $5M (ie half that of a world cup) for the Confederation cup) Total $14M

Plus the friendlie(s) ?
Football in NSW
- Football 200,868
- AFL NSW/ACT 28,468
- Rugby League 96,041
- Rugby Union 40,685
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

thanks for info
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

How many of these World Cup qualifiers and confederation cup cup games will actually be broadcast prime time in Australia?

If not prime time, isn't the value greatly reduced and games are set to be shown on the secondary channel of whichever FTA network is interested enough after the BBL rights are sold?
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

Beaussie wrote:
How many of these World Cup qualifiers and confederation cup cup games will actually be broadcast prime time in Australia?

If not prime time, isn't the value greatly reduced and games are set to be shown on the secondary channel of whichever FTA network is interested enough after the BBL rights are sold?
Yeah.....good points pal. So can you tell me how much you fumblers get for international, or for that matter, state game broadcasts??

Can you also tell me how much the Socceroos brand is worth or known internationally?? I'm a RL man but even I, a working class fool, know that the Socceroos are known throughout the world due to soccer being a world game. And I know that because I have traveled the world and know what foreigners relate to Australia.

Why do you continually talk down one of our national teams??? I need answers pal????
ParraEelsNRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 9 times

Post by ParraEelsNRL »

Haha as Dave stated elsewhere, the wbbl is out rating the lol league.

Maybe the women's cricket deserve a better deal than the soccer :_<>
signature removed by Admin.
User has been banned for this and similar comments.
eelofwest
Coach
Coach
Team: Eels

Post by eelofwest »

So its looks like my prediction of 80m a year was close to the mark.

57m a year from Fox, 10-15m from FTA, 3m from Overseas tv rights and still have online from Telstra to be signed.

70-80m which for Aleague is a good chunk of money.

Looks like the ARU and rugby have been relegated to 4th football code, 5th if we count Cricket.
post_hoc
Coach
Coach

Post by post_hoc »

eelofwest, don't forget that is without the Socceroos included, I think the FTV will be closer to $7-10 million but for a 12 year old league not a bad deal.

beaussie, you are struggling, you have been shown to be wanting on this thread.
Football in NSW
- Football 200,868
- AFL NSW/ACT 28,468
- Rugby League 96,041
- Rugby Union 40,685
ParraEelsNRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 9 times

Post by ParraEelsNRL »

Soccer is older in this country than rugby league yet its only 12 lmfao
signature removed by Admin.
User has been banned for this and similar comments.
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

eelofwest wrote:

57m a year from Fox, 10-15m from FTA, 3m from Overseas tv rights and still have online from Telstra to be signed.

Looks like the ARU and rugby have been relegated to 4th football code, 5th if we count Cricket.
Dunno about that . I've seen it broken down on various sites & it seems that to get what the figure announced there are a few hurdles to overcome .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
eelofwest
Coach
Coach
Team: Eels

Post by eelofwest »

AFLcrap1 wrote:
eelofwest wrote:

Dunno about that . I've seen it broken down on various sites & it seems that to get what the figure announced there are a few hurdles to overcome .
No doubt there is some hurdles to overcome but i think the FFA will reach between 70-80m which can only be considered a good outcome for Soccer in Aus.