International rules a bit of a joke and a laugh

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Swans4ever
Coach
Coach
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 0

Re: International rules a bit of a joke and a laugh

Post by Swans4ever »

Phelpsy wrote:
Second that x man
3rd that - rather see a SOO once every four years - no time for IR!
LARGEST MEMBERSHIP, LARGEST PROFIT, LARGEST HOME CROWD AVERAGE - THE BIGGEST CLUB IN SYDNEY - THE SYDNEY SWANS
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

Question is how do you do it. Can't be in season as it compromises the home and away. Also, what killed it off originally was that people who follow afl value they're club winning over their state. So if a player gets injured or reported, the club suffers . Question is, would you rather your club win the grand final or your state win SoO? I would be pissed if collingwood lost a key player to injury because of a meaningless game. But if you had a carnival every year or 4 years as you say ... When do you play it ? Preseason ?? Will have the same issue as in past as players getting injured and wrecking a clubs season... No one will want that. Post season ... It will just be a piss up? During the byes ?????

If they want SoO , how do you create the passion for playing for your state. Also, because the game is played all over Australia with players from every state and territory, that's a few games to play .
Veni, vidi, vici
pHyR3
Captain
Captain
Team: Wests Tigers

Post by pHyR3 »

pick 4 states, give everyone two weeks off in the middle of season and just have 2 states play each other then a 'GF' of sort.

but history and passion is hard to substitute
NRLCrap1 wrote:
Ignorant goose. International AFL is big and don't you forget it!
NRLCrap1 wrote:
Crowds don't mean squat.
the stupidity....

Xman
Coach
Coach
Team: Essendon

Post by Xman »

Afl fans as a whole accept the fact we don't have anywhere near enough worldwide presence to have meaningful international games. Its a simple fact that our game is uniquely Australian and has great support in our own country but not overseas. I don't see the Americans desperate to play nfl against other countries. Its uniquely their sport and they love it, doesn't make it less of a sport.

SOO won't work either. We have too many quality players from non heartland or smaller states which would either be ineligible for heartland states, so ignored, or part of weak teams if included. Look at the USA again. They don't have SOO, they have east v west or the like. This may work but only after many years of tradition has been established, and even then it still lacks true tribalism.
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
adamj1300
Has thanked: 0

Post by adamj1300 »

Xman wrote:
Afl fans as a whole accept the fact we don't have anywhere near enough worldwide presence to have meaningful international games. Its a simple fact that our game is uniquely Australian and has great support in our own country but not overseas. I don't see the Americans desperate to play nfl against other countries. Its uniquely their sport and they love it, doesn't make it less of a sport.

SOO won't work either. We have too many quality players from non heartland or smaller states which would either be ineligible for heartland states, so ignored, or part of weak teams if included. Look at the USA again. They don't have SOO, they have east v west or the like. This may work but only after many years of tradition has been established, and even then it still lacks true tribalism.
i tend to agree, it would be nice to have AFL popular world wide but it isnt any where near buy in the future, one of its biggest problem is not many countries have oval shaped playing fields any where near enough, some of the cricket paying nation's perhaps.

AFL is very similar to the NRL in america, its the most popular sport in the country, but rarely rates a mention in any others. NFL has the highest season attendance average of any sport in the world of 67,591 but in a popular of over (330 million). like the AFL people follow it religiously, but its hardly on the radar of any other country
Swans4ever
Coach
Coach

Post by Swans4ever »

I still think SOO would work AFTER the season instead of IR once every 4 years - hold it in November with every state prior to the draft every state plays every state once in two groups eg - Vic, NSW/ACT, Tas Group 1. SA, WA and QLD/NT group 2. Winner of group 1 v winner in group 2. (Alternatively 5 rounds would be fairer played every 3 days). Play games at venues like Metricon, Skoda, AAMI, Pattison and Edihad. Hold draft after SOO with compo picks specific for clubs that as a result of SOO at end of 1st and 2nd RDs. (Just like free agent). AFL to pay wage of any player injured and unable to play for club WHILST injured and that players salary deducted from cap. Pay a bonus to clubs who have SOO players picked. There is over 50 players from each of NSW/ACT and QLD so the experience gap is starting to get closure. Alternatively play 9-a-side with differing rules and play it at Edihad over 2 days with the same salary cap special conditions - there's lots of ways it could work and look after clubs (could eight teams in 2 groups with the best international side and Aborigine side. ). Anyway thats for what it's worth!
LARGEST MEMBERSHIP, LARGEST PROFIT, LARGEST HOME CROWD AVERAGE - THE BIGGEST CLUB IN SYDNEY - THE SYDNEY SWANS
NRLCrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB

Post by NRLCrap1 »

Swans4ever wrote:
Phelpsy wrote:
Second that x man
3rd that - rather see a SOO once every four years - no time for IR!
Fourth that.
DON'T MAKE ANY BETS WITH ELIAGH!! HE WELCHES WHEN HE LOSES!!
DAVE'S RIVER IN EGYPT - JUNIOR ACT TEAMS: AFL 109 RL 107
CHEWBACCA IS A GOOSE! A GOOSE I TELL YOU! A GOOSE!
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach
Team: Canberra

Post by Raiderdave »

Swans4ever wrote:
Raiderdave wrote:
NRLCrap1 wrote:
The reality is that the Aussies aren't as adept with the round ball as the Irish.

the reality is fumblers are crap with any shaped ball :(/ :(/ :_<> :_<> :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah and RL players can only hand the hall over - which makes them even more pathetic - a bit like you!

hand the hall over ? 8-[

the scout hall
girl guides hall

the .... hall of remembrance ? :-k

:(/ :(/ :_<> :_<> :lol: :lol: :lol:

are you ******** ? :?>
serious question !!

VFL played by skilful players ?

the Irish say hello :cool: :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/
RL SOO II 4.194 Million veiwers
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
VFL Grand Final 3.620 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million
Kangaroos V NZ 1.214 Million

Sookerwhos V Japan 238K :lol:
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach
Team: Canberra

Post by Raiderdave »

Xman wrote:

the US & American football is big enough to overcome any lack of internationalism
it is king coast to coast in the worlds largest economy

vfl is not in the same class as this
it is NOT king coast to coast .. its homeland consists of just 10 odd million people
this is the extent of its universe as well 8-[

it is massively limited & will eventually implode through its lack of any meaningful level of competition other then its domestic league
young Australians who want to chase an international profile will in years to come ... look at the Victorian game ..... last :cool:
RL SOO II 4.194 Million veiwers
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
VFL Grand Final 3.620 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million
Kangaroos V NZ 1.214 Million

Sookerwhos V Japan 238K :lol:
NRLCrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB

Post by NRLCrap1 »

Raiderdave wrote:

Like to see the Irish do as well as they have with the red football instead of the round ball!

Now THAT is skill!
DON'T MAKE ANY BETS WITH ELIAGH!! HE WELCHES WHEN HE LOSES!!
DAVE'S RIVER IN EGYPT - JUNIOR ACT TEAMS: AFL 109 RL 107
CHEWBACCA IS A GOOSE! A GOOSE I TELL YOU! A GOOSE!
Swans4ever
Coach
Coach

Post by Swans4ever »

Raiderdave wrote:
Swans4ever wrote:
Raiderdave wrote:
NRLCrap1 wrote:
The reality is that the Aussies aren't as adept with the round ball as the Irish.

the reality is fumblers are crap with any shaped ball :(/ :(/ :_<> :_<> :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah and RL players can only hand the hall over - which makes them even more pathetic - a bit like you!

hand the hall over ? 8-[

the scout hall
girl guides hall

the .... hall of remembrance ? :-k

:(/ :(/ :_<> :_<> :lol: :lol: :lol:

are you ******** ? :?>
serious question !!

Not a NUPHY like you - take your meds coward!
Swans4ever
Coach
Coach

Post by Swans4ever »

Raiderdave wrote:
Xman wrote:

the US & American football is big enough to overcome any lack of internationalism

it is NOT king coast to coast .. its homeland consists of just 10 odd million people

it is massively limited & will eventually implode through its lack of any meaningful level of competition other then its domestic league
young Australians who want to chase an international profile will in years to come ... look at the Victorian game ..... last :cool:
And doesn't it really really hurt that they arn't - that it has dwarfed NRL in Australia - it really really hurts - NUPHY
Xman
Coach
Coach
Team: Essendon

Post by Xman »

Raiderdave wrote:
Xman wrote:

Culture is a huge part of sporting popularity. Basketball threatened to make a huge impact on sport in the 90's when on FTA, yet a few decades later and its popularity has probably shrunk in Australia. Yet its played world wide and gains popularity with youngsters because its a major sport of the most powerful and influential country in the world. I sense soccer will also suffer a die back in a decade or so.

I agree, Afl isnt close to comparable to nfl in popularity, but per population it punches well above its weight.

Good luck to RL fans. Your international comp may have few true contenders, probably two, but in reality there arent many true international competitions for professional sports, so its still significant.

However, I can't say I think less of the AFL for not having rep games. Its the nature of a sport that is unique to one country, which brings its own attraction.
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
cos789
Coach
Coach
Team: Wookie is a failed pathetic ugly woman

Post by cos789 »

Last figures were that NFL has $9 billion turnover and AFL $1 billion turnover
Thus the ratio is 9 : 1 whereas population is 14 : 1.
Nice try Cos.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Its good to see you afl supporters seeing how much of a joke international rules is. Now you only have one organisation to blame for it dont yas? The AFL. Point your fingers with me folks, the AFL has made a mockery of itself on this one.

And i think we should also talk about raiders point. How is it these irish lads, basiclly unpaid butchers, pig farmers, potato pickers and bakers, how is it they have no troubles whippin australias so called finest athletes? Its a very very strong argument against the afl players as professional athletes, regardless of which friggin ball they're kickin!!! Lordy lordy my what on earth is the problem? [-X

From an objective standpoint i'd have to say raiders' suggestions are fairly accurate again on this one. I mean, look at our leaguies who turn to the alternative game union as an example. The RL athletes run rampant over the sluggish fat union lards simply because they are superior athletes, in every sense...not the case for our afl fellas playing international rules though is it...?

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?