AFL Expansion - NZ here we come

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Re: AFL Expansion - NZ here we come

Post by Beaussie »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:30 pm
how many games did they try and try ..

was it 3 or 4
3 games that actually started well enough. Wellington in the end however was not the best place to try promote footy in NZ, hence moves since to stage games in the bigger city of Auckland with what appears to be supportive local government. Good on the Saints for maintaining a NZ presence.
Saints' Auckland time frame up in the air
By Daniel Cherny4 March 2018 — 4:33pm

St Kilda's chances of playing a match in New Zealand next season are up in the air, with the time frame surrounding the Saints’ first match in Auckland to be shaped this month by council planning.
St Kilda hope to resume their trans-Tasman presence, which began with an annual Anzac Day game in Wellington between 2013 and 2015.

The Saints have since flagged their interest in playing a home game in Auckland, and had initially hoped to lock it in this year or in 2019. No matches were scheduled for 2018, and next season now looks no guarantee.

The reason for the uncertainty is that the proposed AFL venue in Auckland – Western Springs Stadium – requires funding for a reconfiguration that would allow the ground to host sports including cricket and football.

The venue can currently be used as a speedway, with a plan for speedway to finish at the venue next March.

But a timeframe on conversion to a ground fit for AFL games is dependent on funding, which is being discussed in Auckland Council’s budget and planning consultation period, which began late last month and runs until March 28. The process is built around developing a 10-year budget for Auckland, as well as planning for what the city will look like in 2050.

Auckland Stadiums director Paul Nisbet said the process should provide clarity, but until then he couldn’t offer a target year for AFL games in New Zealand’s biggest city.

“We can’t give a target year but we are committed to working with AFL and St Kilda on a venue option for Auckland fixtures,” Nisbet told The Age.

“We will know more once we have worked through the planning and council funding process.

“As signalled previously, speedway activity is scheduled to end at Western Springs in March 2019. It is our intention to re-purpose Western Springs, and an oval facility which caters for cricket and other sports such as AFL is our preferred option.

“This strategy was approved in 2015 by Auckland Council, with the funding to be considered in the current Auckland Council long-term planning process. We are continuing to talk through timing and venue requirements with the AFL and St Kilda and are working towards being able to host AFL fixtures in Auckland in the near future.”

The Saints have continued to maintain a presence in New Zealand even without playing games there, continuing to hold preseason training camps in the country. St Kilda have also had a handful of Kiwi international scholarship players on their books in recent seasons.

Dashing Saints half-back Shane Savage was born in New Zealand, moving to Australia as a boy.
The club’s chief executive Matt Finnis told the AFL website last year that New Zealand had untapped potential as an AFL market.

"We certainly still consider that as a potential secondary market, which hasn't been given the full opportunity to reveal the strength that that can have yet," Finnis said.

The Saints lost all three of their games in Wellington. The first, against Sydney, drew 22,546, but the next two games drew significantly less: 13,409 and 12,125. The matches were the first home and away games to be played outside Australia, followed by last year’s game in Shanghai between Port Adelaide and Gold Coast, who will again meet in China this year.

St Kilda are just weeks away from moving their headquarters back to Moorabbin after seven years in Seaford.

The Saints used Launceston as a secondary market in the first half of last decade.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/saints ... 4z2rj.html
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lol
Talk about flogging a dead horse .

But I'm sure the AFL fans will lap up any talk as a sign that NZ is the place .

Hope they don't have a "CYCLEWAYS To Nowhere "in Auckland .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

I agree that Wellington was not the ideal place to Auckland,

though I don't think it would go much better in Auckland either..

I guess it depended on how much the AFL promoted the game in the lead up..
NRL&NFLweLaughATafl
Coach
Coach
Team: Manly Sea Eagles and Huddersfield Giants
Been liked: 13 times

Post by NRL&NFLweLaughATafl »

Soccer is struggling in NZ. A far bigger code there than AFL there.

There is really no chance they will take to Victorias game.
RUGBY LEAGUE 28 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 5 COUNTRIES
🇦🇺 🇨🇦 🇫🇷 🇳🇿 🇬🇧
AUSSIE RULES 18 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 1 COUNTRY
🇭🇲
Rugby League in Canada (Toronto Wolfpack)
http://www.torontowolfpack.com

UK Rugby League
http://www.rugby-league.com
Swans4ever
Coach
Coach
Been liked: 0

Post by Swans4ever »

NRL&NFLweLaughATafl wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:17 pm

Just like Sydney will never follow the Swans or GWS eh??? Maybe you should peer into your crystal ball of your and tell us the lotto numbers for this week!
LARGEST MEMBERSHIP, LARGEST PROFIT, LARGEST HOME CROWD AVERAGE - THE BIGGEST CLUB IN SYDNEY - THE SYDNEY SWANS
NRL&NFLweLaughATafl
Coach
Coach

Swans4ever wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:12 am

Just like Sydney will never follow the Swans or GWS eh??? Maybe you should peer into your crystal ball of your and tell us the lotto numbers for this week!
There is a big difference in sporting culture between NZ and NSW.

Every place outside of Australia AFL has tried to promote their sport has become a huge embarrassment for them.

Crowds kept falling and falling when they played AFL games in NZ last time.
And your attempts in Shanghai have been just as dismal.

Just face it, AFL does not have international appeal..
🇦🇺 🇨🇦 🇫🇷 🇳🇿 🇬🇧
🇭🇲

UK Rugby League
Swans4ever
Coach
Coach
Been liked: 0

Post by Swans4ever »

NRL&NFLweLaughATafl wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:31 pm

Every place outside of Australia AFL has tried to promote their sport has become a huge embarrassment for them.

Oh FFS you call one game in Shanghai and a couple of games in NZ a failure?? Its only a begining unlike RL (ala Adelaide RAMS, Perth REDS) when AFL decideds to expand they will do it soak up whatever they have to and make it a success. They have merely put a toe in the water. (How was Shanghai a failure anyway, while not an overwhelming success it was hardly a failure......talk about rewritting history to suit your argument).
LARGEST MEMBERSHIP, LARGEST PROFIT, LARGEST HOME CROWD AVERAGE - THE BIGGEST CLUB IN SYDNEY - THE SYDNEY SWANS
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

[shadow=]d[/shadow]
Swans4ever wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:54 pm

Oh FFS you call one game in Shanghai and a couple of games in NZ a failure?? Its only a begining unlike RL (ala Adelaide RAMS, Perth REDS) when AFL decideds to expand they will do it soak up whatever they have to and make it a success. They have merely put a toe in the water. (How was Shanghai a failure anyway, while not an overwhelming success it was hardly a failure......talk about rewritting history to suit your argument).
As usual you miss the point entirely .
One unco point for you .
The opening comment by one of the delusional ...living in an alternate reality fumblers was hilarious .
The cultleader speaks & the braindead just nod & take it all as gospel .

:(/ :(/ :(/

Kiwis are going to love our game. Mark my words, next expansion destination along with Tasmania, will be NZ. Stadium already in place and sellout crowds expected.
:(/ :(/ :(/

I marked his words & they are so far from reality it's amazing he can function in the real world

How's the expansion going .
:))) :)))
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
NRL&NFLweLaughATafl
Coach
Coach

Swans4ever wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:54 pm

Well do you call a half empty 3rd world looking stadium with travelling Aussies and not Chinese making up the numbers a success?

Rams and Reds were victims of a superleage vs NRL war.
Comparing apples with oranges.

Crowds for the NRL games in Adelaide and Perth have been a lot more successful than AFLs overseas attempts.

Plus we have a new professional club in Canada. Toronto Wolfpack.
A few professional clubs in France. As well as successful reserve grade clubs in PNG with a second one planned for Fiji.

You see the difference between rugby league and AFL is our sport has people growing the game in both hemispheres. (Northern & Southern) While AFL is trying to go international with no overseas support.
🇦🇺 🇨🇦 🇫🇷 🇳🇿 🇬🇧
🇭🇲

UK Rugby League